Don’t slice your cheese when you can grate it (the bigger the grater, the better). This ensures evenly melted, gooey cheese in every bite.
Don’t be shy — plan on about two ounces of cheese per sandwich. Use your palm to press the grated cheese onto the bread so it doesn’t fall out.
Don’t fret if the cheese oozes out of the sandwich. The toasty bits at the bottom of the pan are the best part!
Don’t just assume that white is the only way. If you love focaccia or whole-wheat, go for it.
Don’t slice your bread more than 1/4″ thick or it’ll overwhelm the cheese.
Flatten sandwiches with a spatula or a heavy pan to ensure oozing cheese and crisp rather than doughy bread.
Spread room-temperature butter on the bread (on the side you’re grilling, not the inside of the sandwich) before you grill. That way, you’ll get evenly buttered, evenly browned bread with a little crunch.
Just trust me.
Although a cast-iron skillet is the traditional fave, a nonstick skillet is your best bet for easy flipping and no sticking.
Cover the skillet while cooking the first side of the sandwich for maximum cheese melting.
And now for the ultimate grilled cheese recipe, from Laura Werlin’s Great Grilled Cheese:
- 8 slices sourdough bread (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 6 ounces best-quality cheddar cheese (orange or white), coarsely grated
- To assemble: Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place 4 slices on your work surface, buttered side down. Distribute the cheese evenly over the 4 slices. Place the remaining 4 bread slices on top, buttered side up.
- Stovetop method: Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Put the sandwiches in the skillet (in batches if necessary), cover, and cook for 2 minutes, or until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese has begun to melt. Uncover, and turn the sandwiches with a spatula, pressing firmly to flatten them slightly. Cook for 1 minute, or until the undersides are golden brown. Turn the sandwiches again, press with the spatula, and cook for 30 seconds, or until the cheese has melted completely. Serve immediately.
- Sandwich maker method: Preheat the sandwich maker. Follow directions for sandwich assembly, and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Gas grill method: Brush the grill rack with oil and preheat the grill to medium-high. Follow directions for sandwich assembly. Put the sandwiches on the grill and follow directions for the stovetop method.
- Makes 4 sandwiches.
Now the real important information….
|Amount Per 1 sandwich|
Calories from Fat 143.43
|*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.|
All in all its not great…But it`s not that BAD either…I think I might add some tomato soup to go along with it! Happy Monday Everyone…And join my stock game on the post below. 🙂